Pensioner Rate Remission


( 655.86 KB )

If you have previously applied for a pensioner rate remission please check that the remission is showing on your Rates Notice. If it does not appear on the notice, please contact Council on 03 6376 7900.

If you are a pensioner and have not previously applied for a pensioner rate remission and the property is your principal place of residence, you may be eligible, please read the eligibility criteria below. If you believe that you are eligible to receive this remission, you can either -

  • Visit the Council Office at 32-34 Georges Bay Esplanade, St Helens.
  • Contact Council and request a form be sent to you (you will need to provide a photocopy of your card and the completed form)
  • Print the form on this page and forward to Council (you will need to provide a photocopy of your card and completed form).


The Department of Treasury and Finance confirms your eligibility for a pensioner rate remission. They also set a maximum amount that can be claimed each financial year, this is dependent upon whether or not you are also eligible to receive a remission on your water and sewage charges from Tas Water.

All applications for a pensioner rate remission for the 2018/2019 financial year need to be submitted on or before 31 March 2019


Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a pensioner rate remission on your rates; you must receive one (1) of the following pensions/payments as of 1 July 2018:

  • Age
  • Sole Parent
  • Health Care Card
  • TPI/War Widow
  • Service
  • Widow
  • Wife/Carer
  • Invalid, disability, supported or sheltered employment allowance.
  • Repatriation Health Card   (eg. Gold Card endorsed Total or Permanent Injury (TPI) or War Widow/Widower DVA).
  • You must have owned the property or be the eligible ratepayer listed on the property on or before 1 July 2018.
  • You must occupy the property as your principal place of residence on or before  1 July 2018.