Rate Information

Rates Instalment Dates 2017/2018

Instalment 1 is due on 12 September 2017

Instalment 2 is due on 14 November 2017

Instalment 3 is due on 6 February 2018 

Instalment 4 is due on 1 May 2018        

Rates Discount Date 2017/2018

To receive the discount on your rates, payment in full must be received by Council on or before 12 September 2017.  Please allow at least 3 days grace from time of payment to due date to account for transfer times.


What are rates and why do we have them?

Rates are used to support the Council in providing services for the benefit of all residents. They comprise around 50% of Council's revenue each year and help pay for:

  • Waste collection & disposal sites
  • Animal control
  • Public amenities
  • Street lighting and cleaning
  • Local roads, footpaths and drainage
  • Maintenance of halls and public buildings
  • Parks and playgrounds
  • Tourism and area promotion
  • Fire protection
  • Community development

Rates are normally made up of a general rate and service rates, which are identified on your rates notice.

How are rates calculated?

Each year, Council determines how much each property will pay for rates.  The calculations for this can be found in Council’s Rates Resolution, which is available here!

Who has to pay rates?

Generally, owners of land have to pay rates. Occupiers of land may pay the rates in exceptional circumstances. If this is the case the owner must notify the Council in writing of this and supply a copy of a written agreement between the owner and occupier for the occupier to be the ratepayer.  Council has a generic form for this purpose should you wish to use it.

If you purchase a property part way through the year, it is advisable to check that all outstanding rates charges have been paid or paid up to settlement date. If you purchase a property which has an amount outstanding either for rates or legal fees, these charges will come with the property and be transferred into your name.

Due to the increase in properties selling around the state at the moment, it may take a while for your property ownership to come through to Council. Until Council gets notification from the Land Titles Office of this change we can not change ownership details. When Council does receive this information, you will receive a copy of your rates (where applicable) to let you know that Council has received this change of ownership and to let you know if there are any amounts owing on the property.

How and where can I pay my rates?

In Person

At the Break O’Day Council Offices, 32-34 Georges Bay Esplanade, St Helens.  We accept, cash, cheque, EFTPOS, debit cards, Visa and MasterCard. (We do not accept Diners Club or American Express).  Offices are open from 9.00am to 5.00pm.

Direct Debit

Is a free service offered by Council.  To enter into a direct debit arrangement to pay your rates on a weekly, fortnightly, monthly or quarterly basis, please call Council on 03 6376 7900.  When a ratepayer enters into an agreement to pay the current years rates by Direct Debit and they pay the current years rates on or before 30 June in that financial year, no interest or penalties will be charged.  Example: if your annual rates are $1560 and you elect to pay by direct debit, your fortnightly amount could be as little as $60.

Bpay Telephone and Internet Banking

Contact your bank, credit union or building society to make this payment from your cheque, savings or credit card account.  The Biller Code and your Reference number can be found on the front of this form.

Bpoint – Telephone and Internet Payments

Call 1300 886 451 or click here   The Biller Code and Reference number can be found on the front of this form (credit cards only).

Post Bill Pay  

In person at any Post Office, or by phone on 13 18 16 or on the internet at www.postbillpay.com.au.  The Biller Code and Reference number can be found on the front of this form.


Post your cheque, money order or credit card details to Break O’Day Council, 32-34 Georges Bay Esplanade St Helens, Tasmania 7216.  Please make cheques payable to Break O’Day Council.

What if I am having difficulties paying?

Any ratepayer who is experiencing difficulty paying their rates should contact Council's Rates Department on 03 6376 7900 at the earliest opportunity, as it may then be possible to arrange a payment schedule which is agreeable to both Council and the ratepayer. This is essential to avoid council taking legal action to recover the outstanding rates.

What happens if I don't pay my rates?

In accordance with the Local Government Act 1993, any properties which are in default of payments for rates for 3 or more years, may be sold by Council at public auction.

What if I make alterations to my property (i.e subdivide, new building, amalgamation)?

When changes are made to your property such as improvements to buildings, new buildings, subdivisions or amalgamations, the Land, Capital & Assessed Annual values of your property may be altered.  When you build or remove a structure from your property, Council will submit a list of these properties to the Valuer General to be re-valued.  Once the Valuer General has assessed the properties the new valuations will be forwarded to Council. If there are any changes to the A.A.V (Assessed Annual Value) of your property the rates on your property may be altered. In this instance you would then receive a supplementary valuation notice which is dated from the date that your Certificate of Occupancy or Completion is issued to the end of the financial year. This supplementary valuation notice will take into account any rates which you may have already paid on the vacant land or before the improvement were completed.  When a subdivision is approved the plans will be forwarded to the Land Titles Office to create the new Titles and they will then forward the information to the Valuer General so that the new Titles can be valued and rated separately.

If you have purchased a property from a subdivision you will also receive a supplementary rates notice, this notice will be dated from the date that the subdivision was approved. The original or parent property will normally be cancelled on the same date and any debits or credits which were on that original property will be transfer proportionately to the new properties.

If you have more than one Title and they are adjoining, it may be possible to have them valued together for rating purposes, in this instance you will need to contact the Valuer General directly and arrange for them to be re-valued.