Dog Control


( 192.27 KB )
( 2.33 MB )
( 562.70 KB )



Your Dog in Break O’Day Municipality

Break O’Day Council aims to balance the expectations of dog owners and the community when we implement the Tasmanian Dog Control Act 2000

Dogs are the valued companions of many residents and visitors and we want you and your dog to be happy. But not everyone likes dogs all the time. Council also has to protect community health, safety and amenity and wildlife – it is our responsibility under the Dog Control Act.

Dogs are great companion animals, but owning one means you have particular responsibilities, both to your pet and also to the general public. The Dog Control Act 2000 and the Dog Control Regulations 2010 provide for the control and management of dogs, as well as informing the community of what Council expects from dog owners.

Council has also produced a Dog Management Policy which outlines these and other responsibilities of dog owners within the municipality. It also provides information on areas you can and can not take your dog. 

The information on this page aims to address common concerns about dog control. If your particular concern is not addressed, then please contact Council on 03 6376 7900.

In addition to the legislation, the Policy addresses the following:

  • Responsible ownership
  • Declared areas
  • Fee structure

Do I have to register my dog?

According to the Dog Control Act 2000, every dog over the age of 6 months must be registered and microchipped. It is a legal requirement and trying to avoid this is a punishable offence. 

In the Break O'Day Municipality the annual registration fee is due by 30 June of each year, or as soon as your dog reaches 6 months of age during the year.

How do I register my dog?

Registration forms are available from the Council office in St Helens, or on this web page under Resources. Once a registration form is completed and the appropriate fee is paid, a registration tag will be issued.

What information is kept about registered dogs?

The following information is held in the council's dog register:

  • the dog's name, age, sex
  • whether your dog is desexed or not
  • microchip number
  • current tag number
  • the dog breed if identifiable
  • any identifiable feature/s of the dog
  • whether the dog is a declared dangerous dog
  • the owner's name and address
  • any other information about the dog the council considers relevant.

What happens if I move house?

If you are moving house permanently, or moving temporarily for more than 60 days with your dog, you will need to notify Council. This needs to be done within 14 days of moving. If you are transferring to a different municipal area, both your old and new councils will need to be notified in writing.

What happens if I sell or give my dog to someone else?

The new owner of your dog will need to notify the council of the change of ownership, in writing, within 14 days of taking possession of the dog.

As the previous owner, you must notify the General Manager in writing that you no longer own the dog. This must occur within 14 days of change of ownership.

What happens if my dog dies?

If the unfortunate situation arises and your pet dies, you are obliged to notify the Council in writing within 14 days of the dog's death. This also applies if your dog is lost, or permanently removed from your premises.

Once notified, the Council will cancel your dog's registration.


Important information concerning the interpretation of legislation, regulations and other policies is contained in this page. It is recommended that you read the Dog Control Act 2000 and the Dog Control Regulations 2010 should further clarification be required.