Future of Local Government Review
The Tasmanian Government has commissioned the Local Government Board to undertake a Review of the role, function, and design of local government in Tasmania.
- What is the Future of Local Government Review?
- What are the stages of the Review?
- How do I provide feedback?
The review will focus on the roles and functions of local government, not the performance of individual Councils.
It aims to ensure our system of local government is robust, capable, and ready for the challenges and opportunities of the future.
The scope of the review covers:
- Statutory functions (eg land use planning);
- Service delivery (eg waste management, road maintenance);
- Governance and administration (eg asset management); and
- Community/place-based roles (eg strategic planning, advocacy).
The review is anticipated to take 18 months and will be broken in to three, six month stages.
Stage 1 – Community engagement, Evidence & fact-finding (January to June 2022)
Focusses on wide community engagement and research to understand what Tasmanians expect from local government and the needs, challenges and opportunities councils will meet in the future.
Stage 2 – Analysing Options (July to December 2022)
Focusses on the identification and development of opportunities for reform, and the testing of these ideas through focussed engagement and further research and exploration.
Stage 3 – Recommending Solutions (January to June 2023 and beyond)
Focusses on the evaluation of options and the delivery of practical recommendations to the Tasmanian Government, along with advice about the implementation of reforms and transition.
The Local Government Review will ask the community to provide feedback on local government under seven main themes:
Session dates for Break O’Day include:
- Community Pop-up – St Helens – Saturday 26 March outside the Bay of Fires IGA from 9am – 11am. You can find the full event details here: https://www.futurelocal.tas.gov.au/event/st-helens-pop-up/
- Community Workshop – St Helens – Saturday 30 April – Location and times to be confirmed. You can find more information on this event here: https://www.futurelocal.tas.gov.au/your-voice/
We will also list the dates/locations and times as well as the survey link on our website here:
Further information and quick links:
You can find relevant and up to date information on the Local Government Review on the Tasmanian Government website here: https://www.futurelocal.tas.gov.au/
You can also keep up to date on the latest news in this space via the Future of Local Government Review – Tasmanian Government, Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/futurelocaltas